A tour of Parliament Building sheds much light on the craftsmen of its time. Omnipresent among the works installed within the premises are stained glass and glass mosaics by Miksa Roth.
“Miksa Róth was only but 22 years old when the opportunity of getting on the highway to success was opened up before him; he was commissioned to prepare the windows of the church of Máriafalva (now: Mariensdorf, Burgenland, Austria). The study glass (Mary with the child Jesus) prepared for the occasion is to be seen in the first room, and constitutes one of the museums most precious works of art.
The significant breakthrough, however, for him was marked by the year 1896 when he won the competition for preparing the glass windows of the House of Parliament in Budapest. One year later he was the person due to whom preparing mosaic was established in Hungary.
His mosaic works the Rising Sun and the Pax and Tree of Jesse exhibited in the mosaic room won him a silver medal at the Paris World Exhibition, 1900. In 1902 at the Turin World Exhibition and two years later at the St. Louis World Exhibition (USA) he was awarded Grand Prix. After the next two years at the Milan Exhibition of Applied Arts organized for the occasion of the opening ceremony of the Simplon tunnel, he was already a member of the international jury, in the company of Victor Horta.
Besides, in these years he was also engaged in preparing large-scale mosaics placed at public places. Just to mention a few from among the most famous ones: the monumental Patrona Hungariae mosaic on the facade of the former Turkish Bank House on Szervita Square, Budapest; the mosaic pictures on the sidewalls of Saint Stephen Basilica; the mosaic on the groundfloor of the Music Academy. He prepared the mosaic of the Holy Right niche in the Royal Castle Chapel too, which was demolished after the Second World War and reconstructed in Balatonalmádi.
The Hungarian Parliament Building (Hungarian: Országház) is the seat of the National Assembly of Hungary, one of the world’s greatest legislative buildings, a notable landmark of Hungary and a popular tourist destination of Budapest. It lies in Kossuth Lajos Square, right on the bank of the Danube