Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy – “occupies a beautiful position on the Gulf of Tigullio. Its attractive palm-fringed harbor is usually thronged with fun seekers, and the resort offers the widest range of accommodations in all price levels on the eastern Riviera. It has a festive appearance, with a promenade, flower beds, and palms swaying in the wind. As is typical of the Riviera, the town’s sandy, pebbly beach is packed with a party crowd in fine weather. Santa Margherita Ligure is linked to Portofino by a narrow road. The climate is mild, even in winter, drawing many retirees from northern Europe.
The town dates from A.D. 262. The official name of Santa Margherita Ligure was given to the town by Vittorio Emanuele II in 1863. Before that, it had many other names, including Porto Napoleone, an 1812 designation from Napoleon.
Santa Margherita Ligure became a tourist attraction in the latter half of the 19th century, drawing important visitors such as royal family members, important politicians, industrialists and international celebrities. The elegant villas and grand hotels encircling the Gulf, combined with remarkable natural beauty have contributed to making this a classic tourist destination. ” excerpt from pano views
Mosaic Art Source – pebble mosaic images archive